Wednesday 14 May 2014

My Top 5 Favourite Songs of All Time

5. "Runaway" by Linkin Park



This is from my days as a "Everybody Hates Me/No One Understands Me" teenager...although to be fair, no one really DID understand me until I got diagnosed.  The opening is what sucked me in originally, but the chorus is what kept me. Running away seemed like a brilliant idea back when I was a kid, just leaving all of Oakey behind and starting a new life in Brisbane as a Lioness...so good in fact that I finally got around to it at the age of 24.  Good number, 24.  Good number.

4. "Escape from the City" by Ted Poley



I gushed over this song in my "Top 5 Pump Up Songs".  It's SONIC THE HEDGEHOG, it's fast, it's rockin', and it's insanely fun.  My official theme song and definitely one I listen to every day.

3. "Electric Blue" by Icehouse



It is so, SO hard to have a favourite Icehouse/Flowers song - between classics such as "Touch the Fire", "Crazy", "Hey Little Girl", "Icehouse", "Great Southern Land", "Nothing Too Serious"...I digress, Icehouse is one band who I will always stop and sing along to.  "Electric Blue" was my first Icehouse song, and still my favourite.  Any song with a saxophone that passionate in it is a winner in my books. Plus I like electric blue eyes.  What?

2. "Stand" by R.E.M



R.E.M is by far my most favourite band of all time.  Their music is creative and enjoyable, Michael Stipe is a fucking lyrical genius, and STAND! Fun, boppy, has it's own dance and is surprisingly deep.  In fact, I am dancing as I type this because this song is so awesome.  It's even got a light anthemy quality about it - making you want to stand up and be counted.

1. "I Can't Dance" by Genesis



Genesis and Phil Collins were my first ever favourites, the whole "We Can't Dance" album was my crystal meth, along with songs like "Another Day in Paradise", "Easy Lover", "Don't Lose My Number".  This song is by far my most favourite song of all time, and I'll be damned if I can tell you why.  That opening guitar, the beat, the cheesy lyrics, Phil's voice...I don't know.  But every time I hear it I want to start singing and dancing and goofing off, it puts me in a good mood and I wish it was longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment