Monday 3 April 2017

Thank You Taker

It's been nearly a year since my last update, but right now I'm heartbroken.

I am literally typing this through tears. The Undertaker...it's finally over. It's so painful to see someone you loved, someone you feared, someone you looked up to go out like that. Not taking anything away from Roman Reigns, but to see someone like the Undertaker finally conquered forever...

For the longest time, the Undertaker was THE limit. Everyone fell before Deadman. No one was safe in his yard. It was no end of a thrill to see the Phenom get absolutely destroyed...only to sit right back up and END whoever was stupid enough to make him mad. Nothing was better than watching someone get a "win" against the Undertaker, only to regret it instantly when they got their backside handed to them.

Admittedly towards the end this aura of invincibility began to fade. I'm still filthy about Brock Lesnar. Even when Wade Barrett in his Nexus days laid Wasteland to the Deadman I was upset (and I'm definitely a Bad News fan). It was hard to watch him slowly become more and more...mortal, as time went on.

There was nothing better for a bad week than watching him take it out on someone. All of our power fantasies were lived through the Deadman. He was indestructible, We lapped it up. And even though we knew it was kayfabe, that all these Superstars were just actors who had a particularly violent job...the Undertaker was different somehow. Even without the theatrics, even behind a TV screen, his powerful aura was painfully obvious, so potent that he didn't even need to say a word. He worked hard, he gave his all, and he demanded respect. I think this is what made his act seem all the more real. Even though when the other Superstars looked terrified as he got up...was it really all an act?

As I tend to do, I'll honour the Phenom with a Top 5 list. My Top 5 Undertaker Moments!

5.  "You look like you've seen a ghost Mr. Kennedy!" Smackdown! 370, 22 Sept 2006

I don't know which was better - listening to Mr. Kennedy try to convince himself that he could beat the Undertaker, or King Bookers face when Bobby Lashley threw him back into the ring to face the music for low-blowing the Deadman. You really don't wanna make the Undertaker mad.

4. "MAYBE THERE IS SOMEONE!" Royal Rumble 2007

I love Shawn Michaels. Sweet Chin Music is easily my favourite finishing move, just purely for how entertaining it can be. Put him with the Undertaker in the best finale of the Royal Rumble ever (in my opinion) and you have magic. You could almost substitute this with either one of their Wrestlemania matches, but for me anyway this is my favourite of their bouts.

3. Brothers of Destruction

Yeah, this is totally cheating. But any moment with the Undertaker and Kane is always great, whether they're on the same side trying to outdo each other or against each other trying to kill each other, the pair have amazing chemistry and compliment each other well in the ring. My favourite though has to be the first Inferno Match. Cop THAT Kane!

2. "GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY, HE'S KILLED HIM!" King of the Ring 1998

Someone please tell me how exactly Mick Foley is still alive and in (mostly) one piece. This match just absolutely kills me every time I watch it. The sheer dominance of the Deadman is a sight to behold, and Mankind getting slammed pillar to post is just icing on the cake. HOW IS MICK FOLEY STILL ALIVE?!

1. "When Daddy wakes up, tell him the Undertaker took back his yard." Smackdown! 89, 3 May 2001

The Two-Man Power-Trip really shouldn't have messed with Kane. I know when people go after my siblings, I tend to get a touch irrational. I'm not surprised that the Undertaker went a bit ape. Throwing Stone Cold Steve Austin through a window, attacking him in the ambulance (while taking out Triple H at the same time) before belting the snot out of McMahon and scaring Stephanie with my favourite line in sports entertainment. The line is delivered in classic Undertaker style, cold, detached, and to the point. It's the perfect combination of the original Undertaker and the biker Undertaker. Beating up Rikishi was just icing on the cake.

The Undertaker has been a part of the WWE for a long, long time. It's hard to imagine the WWE without him. He gave us all so many great memories and amazing matches. Thank you Undertaker. Thank you so much for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment